- Published on Thursday, 12 July 2012 11:41
The Japanese Packaging Industry is one of the most advanced industries in the world. Yet, this highly innovative market - with its state-of-the-art technologies, unique packaging solutions, and sustainablilty focus - is for most part a mystery to the rest of the world. So what is driving Japan’s US$77 billion packaging industry?
Packaging innovation from Japan is one of the most advanced globally; it can often take as long as eight years before similar technologies reach Western retail shelves.
For the first-time western visitor, a trip through Japan’s retail can be an exercise in contrasts: on the one hand elaborate, ornate over-packed products are on display in the department stores, while lightweight pouches with simple but clever pouring spouts embedded line the supermarket shelves.
The most common question asked by foreigners is ‘Why?’– why offer virtually every homecare product in both rigid and flexible packs? Why devote an entire face of a package to graphics on how to fold and compress it for disposal? Why use such high quality print on low ticket items?
These questions and many more will be answered in a special pre-Tokyo Pack ‘Orientation Briefing” on 1 October 2012, organized specifically with overseas visitors in mind.
Presented by the Japan Packaging Institute and EP Resources Pte Ltd (Singapore), this unique Orientation Program consists of a series of morning seminars explaining Japan’s industry structure and business culture, and optional afternoon city tours of retail formats and other packaging-related visits.
Unparalleled insight into Japan’s packaging industry delivered by experts from the Japan Packaging Institute is now available for booking at just EUR 200 (US$245)
The Orientation Briefing Program
Morning Session: Orientation to Packaging in Japan
This half-day seminar will provide overseas visitors with a pre-exhibition insight into the Japanese packaging industry, statistics, the drivers of innovation and a guide to where to find exhibits in the 20,000m2 exhibition site.
The presentations include:
1. Introduction to Japan’s Packaging Industry
- Packaging Market Scope & Scale
- Production Statistics
2. Packaging Drivers in Japan
Key unique elements driving packaging innovation
- Consumer demographics, buying patterns/habits
- Retail formats
- Legislative impact on packaging designs/formats
- What to look out for during the afternoon retail tour
3. Orientation to Tokyo Pack 2012 Exhibition
- Introduction to the Exhibition and its theme
- Highlights of pavillions/displays, conferences/seminars
- Guide to exhibition floor-plan, etc
4. Packaging Trends in Japan :
- Overview of key packaging technology trends on display at Tokyo Pack 2012
Afternoon Session: Japanese Packaging Discovery Tour (optional)
After a typical Japanese bento-box lunch, visitors will be taken on an afternoon guided tour of the city’s retail formats to see Japanese packaging in a commercial setting.
The first ever pre-Tokyo Pack Orientation Briefing is now open for registration!
This special event consists of a half-day session of Orientation presentations + a typical local bento lunch, and a optional tour of Japanese retail in the afternoon.
For just EUR 200 (US$245), you will:
- Get first-hand knowledge on Japan's Packaging Industry
- Understand the drivers of this highly-advanced unique US$77 billion market
- Learn what makes this particular industry one of the leading packaging technological pioneers globally
In addition, you will receive:
- A copy of the presentation materials
- An abstract of the Executive Summary of EP Resources' latest edition of its report: Packaging Drivers in Japan, written by well-known Asian packaging expert Stuart Hoggard
- Tokyo Pack 2012 special benefits:
- Free 4-day entry to TokyoPack 2012 (2 - 5 October 2012)
- The Tokyo Pack 2012 exhibition guide
- Exclusive invitation to the Official Tokyo Pack Opening Ceremony and Networking Reception (2 October)
- Access to all concurrent conferences, seminars and no fewer than three distinct packaging pavilions: Japan's Good Packaging Award winners, Global Packaging Pavilion, a special Package Design Pavilion, and Kuwasawa Design School 2012 Graduation exhibition
Registration closes on 15 September 2012.
Seats are limited, so book your place fast! Email here to sign up now!
About Tokyo Pack 2012
What is TOKYO PACK?
The largest packaging show in Asia, TOKYO PACK 2012 is THE premier exhibition to attend.
Launched in 1966 and owned and operated directly by the Japan Packaging Institute (JPI), the 24th edition of the biannual TOKYO PACK will see 510 Japanese companies occupying more than 19,000m2, and presenting the widest range of advanced Japanese packaging, with potential for international application, in the Asian region.
Key categories include packaging materials and containers, packaging material and substrates and design.
Packaging machinery on show includes equipment for the printing and converting sectors, inspection and measurement, food and pharmaceutical processing and transport/logistics sectors, distribution systems and other packaging-related equipment.
TOKYO PACK 2012 Exhibition details:
- Dates: October 2 (Tue) - 5 (Fri) 2012
- Venue: Tokyo Big Sight, East Halls 1-6
- Website: http://www.tokyo-pack.jp/en/
This biannual packaging exhibition is a must-attend for all who are interested in some of the world's most cutting-edge packaging solutions available in the market today!