US – Energizer has announced a significant packaging improvement designed to reduce the occurrence of ingestions of coin-sized button batteries by children and the associated medical complications.
The innovative new packaging, coming soon to store shelves throughout the US, is made from more durable and flexible materials that make it very difficult for young children to open.
In addition to deterring children from getting into the package, Energizer has added easily understood icons on the front of the package to let parents know to keep the batteries away from small children, along with detailed warning copy advising of the danger of ingesting coin cell batteries and how to get help if they are swallowed.
Once an adult has opened the package, they’ll see a warning sticker on the back of the battery itself (with a tab for easy removal) that further reinforces the safety message. While the transition at retail may take some time, it is fully expected to be complete prior to the upcoming Holiday season.
Coin-sized button batteries are common household batteries that can be used safely to power everyday devices such as small remote controls, watches, calculators, flameless candles, car key fobs, talking greeting cards and other gadgets that small children often like to play with. The problem occurs if a child accesses the batteries and swallows one, which can lead to serious injury and even death.
“The incidence and severity of button cell battery ingestion is on the rise and not only did we want to bring visibility to what is an invisible threat in many homes, but we made a commitment to work toward both technology and packaging solutions that can save lives,” said Stacey Harbour, Energizer Director of Marketing, U.S. Batteries.
“The new child-resistant packaging can help prevent ingestion and is a big step in the right direction,” she added.
“While children usually swallow coin cell batteries they obtain directly from products or find left out or discarded, child-resistant packaging that meets the strict CPSC regulations has the potential to eliminate up to 11% of coin cell battery ingestions,” said Dr. Toby Litovitz of the National Capital Poison Center. “It’s positive to see Energizer take a leadership position on this, and we hope this effort mobilizes all device and battery companies to identify and implement ways to reduce both the incidence of battery ingestion and the severity of the damage that can occur when these cells are swallowed.”